It seems like everyday we’re bombarded with research papers and studies combatting the organic lifestyle.

Not long ago in fact, Stanford University even got into the debate with their “Are Organic Foods Safer or Healthier Than Conventional Alternatives?: A Systematic Review” article.

But headlines like these we come across on Twitter, Reddit, or wherever else you turn to for your news... are sensational at best.

See, when we return back to how life used to be, how farming used to be… there’s no real food battle to be won because organic agriculture is better for your health, for the environment, and the future of our planet.

But first let’s breakdown what “Organic” really means since there is still so much misinformation out there.


What Does “Organic” Really Mean?

 Fifteen years ago (2002), the USDA’s National Organic Standards first started to serve as the Federal regulation concerning which foods can ethically be sold as organic.

The NOSD created a “National List” which outlines exactly the allowed and prohibited substances used for food processes, livestock, and crops.

In short, to be considered “organic” in the United States:

  • Farmers and growers must use use earth-friendly methods that contribute to improving biodiversity
  • Animals must have free reign to do carry out their natural behaviours, are given access to fresh air and grounds, have been fed organic feed, and are not fed or grown with help of antibiotics or growth hormones
  • Organic products must be certified, containing a minimum of 95% organic ingredients without the remaining 5% of non-organic ingredients being sourced only from approved NOSB additives
  • No GMO (genetically modified organisms) or preservatives are allowed
  • All growers and producers of organic products, must be certified by a USDA-accredited agent
Furthermore, the products must be produced without the addition of any of the following:
  • Antibiotics
  • Artificial growth hormones
  • High fructose corn syrup
  • Artificial dyes (made from coal tar and petrochemicals)
  • Artificial sweeteners
  • Synthetically created chemical pesticide and fertilizers
  • Genetically engineered proteins and ingredients
  • Sewage sludge
  • Irradiation

We don’t know about where you stand on the subject of choosing organic, but if avoiding a few little ingredients means we’ll be better off health-wise and we’ll be supporting the betterment of our planet - it’s a no brainer.


2 Reasons You Should Support Organic Agriculture

Organic farming allows the environment to thrive

Organic farming goes back to basics, and sees the soil as a living being. When that living being is nurtured and cultivated through the use of natural minerals and nutrients like manure and compost, the natural sources of nitrogen in the soil thrive. This better management of the crops in turn results in healthier soil that’s more resistant to erosion AND it means that your foods are 110% less likely to be contaminated with disruptive pesticide residues.

Organic farming yields more nutritious crops

For many years now scientists have been going back and forth over the subject of organic foods being more nutritious than its conventional counterparts. More often that not, fortune favors the organic! According to a recent (2016) study published in the British Journal of Nutrition, organically raised cattle (remember - no use of antibiotics) have 50% more omega 3 content in their meat which is important because “Omega-3s are linked to reductions in cardiovascular disease, improved neurological development and function, and better immune function," - study co-author Chris Seal and professor of food and human nutrition at Newcastle University.

Go on Paleo dudes, you know you want to…

Don’t worry, it’s not just the meat-eaters benefiting from organic crops, another meta analysis (including data from over 300 studies) published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that other organic produce like blueberries, broccoli, carrots (and so many more) have a substantially higher concentration and range of antioxidants.

See, supporting organic agriculture is just common sense after all. We believe that as the research continues to grow and as consumers continue demanding information and increase their interest in organic, the science behind organic agriculture will quickly follower and further help to solidify why it’s so important to support a healthy, nutrient rich organic lifestyle.